With the Apple Device Enrollment Program (DEP), you can purchase iOS (and OS X) devices
in volume for distribution within your company. DEP simplifies the deployment of mobile
devices by providing the following features:
- Configurable activation process.
- Wireless enabling of supervision mode.
- Over-the-air configuration.
- Automatic enrollment of iOS devices with Sophos Mobile Control during device
To prepare the management of DEP devices with Sophos Mobile Control, perform the following
- On the Apple DEP web portal, create a virtual MDM server and link it to Sophos Mobile
Control. See Set up a virtual MDM server.
- In Sophos Mobile Control, create one or more DEP profiles that control various
device attributes specific to DEP. With the DEP profile, you can also
customize the iOS setup assistant that starts when a device is switched on for the first
time. See Create DEP profile.
When you purchase DEP devices, the typical deployment process includes the following
- Purchase the
devices from Apple or an approved DEP vendor.
- On the Apple DEP web portal, assign the devices to the Sophos Mobile Control MDM
server. For this and the next step, see Deploy DEP devices.
- In the Sophos Mobile Control console, assign a DEP profile to the devices.
- Distribute the devices to your users.
- When the users switch on their devices for the first time, the customized iOS setup
assistant starts. During setup, the devices are enrolled with Sophos Mobile Control and
the user is assigned to the device.
- If required, you can transfer additional task bundles to the devices to complete the