For iOS apps that you add to Sophos Mobile Control, you can choose to have the app installed
as managed or unmanaged on the users’ devices.
Managed apps have the following characteristics:
- When users select a managed app in the Enterprise App Store, an installation task is
created and processed in Sophos Mobile Control. In contrast, when users select an unmanaged
app, they are redirected to the Apple App Store to install the app from there.
- You can uninstall managed apps through the Sophos Mobile Control console. This is not
possible for unmanaged apps.
- On supervised iOS devices, managed apps are installed and uninstalled silently, that is
without user interaction.
- Certain settings in iOS device profiles are only available for managed apps.
- When an iOS device is unenrolled from Sophos Mobile Control, all managed apps are
automatically removed from the device. Unmanaged apps will remain on the device.
The following rules determine if an app is installed managed or unmanaged:
- Apps that you install from the Sophos Mobile Control console are always managed.
- Apps that the user installs from the App Store are always unmanaged.
- Apps that the user installs from the Enterprise App Store are managed if you have
activated the SMC managed installation setting in the app properties,
as described in Add app.
To check the app status on a device, open the Show device page for that
device and go to the Installed apps tab. See The Show device page.
Tip: If a user has installed an unmanaged app you can convert it into a managed app.
To do this, configure the app in Sophos Mobile Control as managed, and then create an
installation task for it. Because the app is already installed, it is not installed again, but
its status changes from unmanaged to managed.