Use the Add device assistant
You can easily enroll new devices with the Add device assistant. It provides a workflow that combines the following tasks:
- Add a new device to Sophos Mobile.
- Optional: Assign a user to the device.
- Enroll the device.
- Optional: Transfer a task bundle to the device.
To enroll a device with the Add device assistant:
On the menu sidebar, click Devices, and then click Add > Add device wizard.
Alternatively, you can start the assistant in the following ways:
- On the Sophos Mobile Dashboard page, click the Add device widget.
- In Sophos Central, go to Devices > Installers > Unified Endpoint Management and Sophos Intercept X for Mobile and click Use the enrollment wizard to manage and/or protect a device.
On the User page, either enter search criteria to look up a user the device will be assigned to, or select Skip user assignment to enroll a device that will not be assigned to a user yet.
You can search for partial strings, but only from the start of a field. For example, the search string
On the User selection page, select the required user from the list of users matching your search criteria.
On the Device details page, configure the following settings:
Option Description Platform The device platform. Name A unique name under which the device will be managed by Sophos Mobile. Description An optional description of the device. Phone number An optional phone number. Enter the number in international format, for example
Email address The email address to which the enrollment instructions are sent. This is the email address of the user assigned to the device, as configured in Sophos Central user management. Owner Select the device owner type: either Corporate or Personal. Device group Select the device group the device will be assigned to. If you have not created a device group yet, you can select the device group Default, which is always available.
On the Enrollment type page, select the option to enroll the device.
- Select a task bundle or policy that is transferred to the device. Or select Only enroll device to enroll the device without transferring a task bundle.
On the Enrollment page, follow the instructions to complete the enrollment process.
- On iPhones and iPads, users must go to the Settings app to install the configuration profile. If they don’t install the profile within 8 minutes, it will be deleted and you must start over. This restriction doesn’t apply to devices you assign to Sophos Mobile using Apple Business Manager or Apple Configurator.
- On Macs, the enrollment must be performed by the user that will be managed by Sophos Mobile. To install the enrollment policy, the user must enter an administrator password.
When enrollment has been completed successfully, click Finish.
When you have made all the selections, you can close the assistant without having to wait for the Finish button to appear. An enrollment task is created and processed in the background.
If you have selected a task bundle to be transferred to the device after enrollment, you can monitor the task status on the Task view page. See View unfinished, failed and latest finished tasks.
For iPhones and iPads, when you have configured Sophos Mobile to synchronize the device name with the device as described in iPhone and iPad settings, the name you entered in the Name field is ignored and the name that is configured on the device is used instead.