Create a traffic shaping policy
Create a traffic shaping policy to help distribute available bandwidth across users and networks.
- Go to System services > Traffic shaping and click Add.
- Enter a name.
Specify the settings.
Option Description Policy association Category that defines the base criterion on which traffic is distributed. You can distribute bandwidth based on users and groups, firewall rules, web categories, or applications. For example, if you select Rules, bandwidth is distributed among traffic that falls under the same firewall rule. Rule type
- Limit: Traffic cannot exceed the defined bandwidth limit.
- Guarantee: Traffic is guaranteed the specified bandwidth and can draw on bandwidth up to the specified limit, if available. Allowing traffic to draw on additional bandwidth can ensure constant service levels during peak periods.
Limit upload/download separately
- Disable: Do not enforce separate upload and download limits.
- Enable: Limit upload and download bandwidth according to the values specified.
Priority Traffic type to which bandwidth priority is to be allocated. By default, priority is assigned to real-time traffic.To control the default behavior for optimization for real-time traffic, go to System services > Traffic shaping settings.
When priority is allocated to real-time traffic, non-real-time policies receive their guaranteed bandwidth depending on the remaining bandwidth of the total available bandwidth.
Bandwidth usage type
- Individual: Allocated bandwidth is only for the user, firewall rule, web category, or application to which this policy is first assigned.
- Shared: Allocated bandwidth is shared among all the users, firewall rules, web categories, or applications that have been assigned this policy.
To specify a schedule for the policy, scroll to the Add schedule section, click Add, and specify details.
- Click Save.
For the policy to take effect, add it to a user, firewall rule, web category, or application record.