Create a mesh network
You want to create a mesh network that contains one root access point and one mesh access point.
When you complete this unit, you'll know how to do the following:
- Connect access points so they can receive a mesh configuration.
- Configure a mesh network with one root access point and one mesh access point.
Connect access points to the firewall
Connect all access points that you want to set up in the mesh network to the firewall using a wired LAN connection.
All mesh access points in your network must use the same channel. Avoid dynamic channel selection as the channels may differ after restarting.
To maximize network efficiency, set the root access point to 5 GHz and the mesh access points to 2.4 GHz.
Go to Wireless > Access points and accept any pending access points that you want to set up.
Create a mesh network and configure access points
- Go to Wireless > Mesh networks and click Add.
Specify the settings.
Option Description Mesh-ID <My Mesh Network> Frequency band 5 GHz
Click Add and specify settings.
Option Description Access points <AP> Role Root access point
You must designate at least one access point as root and one as mesh access point.
You can't create a mesh network between Sophos access points and Sophos APX series access points. Also, you can't create a mesh network in Sophos APX series access points if both radios are using the 5 GHz band.
Add at least one more access point.
- Click Save. You can now disconnect the mesh access points from the wired network.
- Disconnect the mesh access points from the wired network and place them in the intended location.
- Restart the access points and wait five minutes.