Installing on macOS
You can deploy an Sophos Firewall ISO image on a macOS server.
- Go to Sophos Firewall free trial and download the Sophos Firewall software (ISO) image on your computer.
- Insert a standard USB pen drive that has the specified minimum space. You will need the pen drive to install the ISO.
To install the software on macOS, follow these steps:
- Open the disk utility included in macOS.
- Locate the pen drive.
Go to Partitions, make the following changes and select Apply.
- Volume scheme: 1 partition
- Format: Free Space
Open a terminal window and go to the ISO location.
To convert the ISO file into a new format, run the command:
hdiutil convert -format UDRW -o sf.img.dmg SW-SFOS_15.01.0-376.iso
The converted ISO will be renamed
- Run the diskutil list and locate the path of the pen drive.
To write the converted ISO to the pen drive, use the following command for reference:
dd if=./sf.img.dmg of=/dev/rdisk9 bs=1m
The pen drive’s path is
/dev/disk9. Replace this with the path used on your computer.
- The = path adds an
rbefore the device path name. This is deliberate and enables RAW disk access. If you leave the
rout, the process will be slower.
- For the imaging to work on your system, you may need to run
sudo dd <rest of command>.
The process will take a few minutes. When the command prompt appears, you can remove the pen drive.
- The = path adds an
To install Sophos Firewall on the server, follow these steps:
- For the pen drive to start, you may need to change the BIOS settings.
- Connect a monitor, keyboard, and a serial cable to the server.
When the prompt to start installation appears, type
yand press Enter.
You will receive two prompts.
When installation is complete, remove the pen drive and restart the server. A first-time restart will take a few minutes. Sophos Firewall is installed as a software appliance.
- Configure Sophos Firewall.
- From the management device, go to
Select Start to open the initial setup wizard and complete the basic configuration.
The wizard won't start if you've changed the default password from the CLI console.
You need to activate and register Sophos Firewall.